Painting demo of "Oldtime singer"


Here's a small painting demonstration I did for a student, oil on wood, 8 x 12 inches. My reference was a picture of an old black and white photo. What I wanted to demonstrate was how quickly and loose I can establish a painting while making-up color from the black and white photo. I wanted the student to begin seeing color as a personal decision that each artist decides for him/herself. As you develop your voice as an artist, so will you develop your voice for color. I first covered the panel with a cool blue-ish mid tone. I then blocked-in my dark shapes, then continued on to the mid tones and highlights. The whole time I wasn't trying to nail a certain color. In fact, I almost pretented to be color blind. I approached it more as something I was looking at in terms of cools and warms-- cool colors vs. warm colors. In fact, I really didn't pay too much attention to the color I was mixing. I was mostly concerned about, "Is it a cool color or is it a warm color?"

Comments

Popular Posts