Titus Castanza's Palette Layout

I like to use a simplified palette made up of mostly primary colors. If you'll notice, I have a warm and cool version of each primary color. In addition, I like to use Trans. Brown Oxide lately. But in the past, I liked to use burnt umber or maybe sometimes raw umber. Black can be mixed using French Ultramarine and brown together. You can mix your own black or just use Ivory Black. Lately, I've just been using Ivory Black directly from the tube (for the sake of ease) but I find myself still adding brown to warm it up.

Occasionally, I prefer to use Magenta into my palette.

Helpful Tip: Some years ago, I familiarized myself with only one brand of paint before introducing other brands to my palette. At one point, I had only Windsor&Newton paints. Over time I developed a propensity for other brands. I very much like Gamblin paints for all my Cadmium colors–but not for much else. Different brands of paint vary with color intensity, tone, quality, viscosity. You're better off becoming very familiar with one brand before branching out.

Comments

Popular Posts